Opening Paragraph: Women are underrepresented in STEM fields, but scholarships specifically designed for women can help bridge this gap. If you’re a woman studying or planning to study science, technology, engineering, or mathematics, there are many scholarship opportunities available to you. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of top scholarships for women in STEM fields that can help you achieve your academic and career goals.
Women Techmakers Scholars Program
The Women Techmakers Scholars Program is an initiative by Google that aims to support and encourage women who are pursuing a degree in computer science, technology, engineering, or related fields. This scholarship is awarded annually to women who have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership skills in their field.
To be eligible for the Women Techmakers Scholars Program, applicants must identify as female and must be currently enrolled in a university or college program in the field of computer science, technology, engineering, or a related field. In addition, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a full-time student pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. program in computer science, technology, engineering, or a related field.
- Have a strong academic record with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent.
- Demonstrate a passion for technology and leadership potential in the field.
- Be enrolled in a university or college in a country where Google offers the Women Techmakers Scholars Program.
To apply for the Women Techmakers Scholars Program, applicants must submit an online application that includes the following:
- A resume or CV that highlights academic achievements, leadership activities, and relevant work experience.
- Academic transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Responses to essay questions that showcase the applicant’s passion for technology and their potential to be a leader in the field.
- Two letters of reference from professors or other academic advisors.
- Optional: A link to a website or project that demonstrates the applicant’s technical skills and accomplishments.
The application deadline for the Women Techmakers Scholars Program varies by regiregiont generally falls in the fall or winter of each year. Applicants should consult the Google website for specific deadlines and application requirements in their region.
Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Scholarships
The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) offers a range of scholarships for women pursuing undergraduate and graduate degrees in STEM fields. These scholarships are designed to support and encourage women to pursue careers in engineering and other STEM fields where women are underrepresented.
H3: Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the SWE scholarships, applicants must be women who are currently enrolled or accepted to a program in a STEM field at an accredited university or college. They must also have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Additionally, applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
H3: Application Process
The application process for SWE scholarships typically involves completing an online application form, submitting a resume, providing transcripts, and writing essays. Some scholarships may also require letters of recommendation. Applicants should review the specific requirements for each scholarship they are applying to and ensure they meet all eligibility criteria. The SWE scholarship application typically opens in December and closes in February, with awards announced in May.
AAUW International Fellowships
AAUW International Fellowships provide financial support to women pursuing full-time graduate or postgraduate studies in the United States. The fellowship is open to women from any country who have a Bachelor’s degree and plan to undertake a full-time study or research program at an accredited U.S. institution.
To be eligible for the AAUW International Fellowship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Hold an academic degree equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree.
- Intend to devote herself full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year.
- Be proficient in English.
- Be a citizen of a country other than the United States or possess a non-immigrant visa if residing in the United States.
- Have at least two years of full-time professional experience prior to the application deadline.
- Not hold a U.S. citizenship or permanent residency.
The application process for the AAUW International Fellowship typically opens in August each year and closes in November. The following steps are involved in the application process:
- Review the eligibility requirements and application guidelines on the AAUW website.
- Create an account and complete the online application form.
- Upload all required documents, including academic transcripts, proof of English proficiency, and three letters of recommendation.
- Submit the completed application by the deadline.
Applications are reviewed by a panel of experts, and successful applicants are notified in April of the following year. The fellowship provides funding for one academic year, with the possibility of renewal for a second year.
Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship
The Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship is a prestigious scholarship for women in STEM fields. The scholarship was established in memory of Dr. Anita Borg, a computer scientist who dedicated her career to promoting women in the field of computing. The scholarship aims to encourage and support women who are pursuing degrees in computer science, computer engineering, or a related technical field.
To be eligible for the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a female student enrolled in a bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D. program in computer science, computer engineering, or a related technical field at an accredited university
- Maintain a strong academic record
- Demonstrate a passion for increasing the involvement of women in computer science and technology
- Be enrolled in an accredited university for the academic year following the application
To apply for the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, applicants must complete an online application, which includes:
- A resume
- A copy of their transcripts
- Responses to four essay questions
- Two letters of recommendation
The essay questions are designed to help the selection committee understand the applicant’s background, interests, and goals. The questions cover a range of topics, including the applicant’s experiences in STEM fields, their leadership potential, and their plans for using their education to make a positive impact.
The deadline for the application varies each year but is typically in the fall. Applicants are encouraged to check the scholarship website for the most up-to-date information and to apply as early as possible.
Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowship
Women pursuing doctoral degrees in aerospace-related sciences and engineering fields may be eligible for the Amelia Earhart Fellowship offered by Zonta International.
H3: Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the Amelia Earhart Fellowship, women must:
- Be pursuing a Ph.D./doctoral degree in an aerospace-related field
- Demonstrate a superior academic record and a commitment to a career in aerospace-related sciences or aerospace-related engineering
- Have completed a minimum of one year of Ph.D./doctoral coursework at the time of application
- Be enrolled in an accredited university or college
- Not graduate before April 2024
- Be a woman of any nationality who is studying in any part of the world
To apply for the Amelia Earhart Fellowship, applicants must submit the following:
- Completed online application form
- Two reference letters
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Proof of enrollment in a Ph.D./doctoral degree program in an aerospace-related field
- Proof of a student visa, permanent residency, or citizenship of the country where the Ph.D./doctoral degree is/will be completed
- A detailed budget for the academic year and evidence of funding (if applicable)
- Research proposal, including goals, methodology, and timeline
- Curriculum vitae
The application deadline for the Amelia Earhart Fellowship is typically in November of each year. Applicants should carefully review the application requirements and instructions provided on the Zonta International website.
These scholarships offer financial support and mentorship opportunities to women pursuing degrees in STEM fields, from undergraduate to graduate levels. By applying for these scholarships, you not only get financial assistance but also access to a network of female professionals in your field who can offer guidance and support as you pursue your career in STEM.
In conclusion: There are many excellent scholarship opportunities available for women pursuing studies in STEM fields. The Women Techmakers Scholars Program, Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Scholarships, AAUW International Fellowships, Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, and Zonta International Amelia Earhart Fellowship are just a few of the top scholarships that women can apply for in 2023.
Each of these programs offers unique eligibility requirements and application processes, so it is important for applicants to carefully review the guidelines before applying. With dedication and perseverance, women in STEM fields can find the financial support they need to achieve their academic and professional goals.